Vice President - Data Scientist
- New York, NY, USA
- Full time, Permanent
- BNP Paribas
- 19 Feb 18
The person in this role will develop risk scoring and validation models in R, and help ensure compliance with embargo and sanctions lists. Strong programming skills in R are required as well as Tableau and SQL experience
About BNP Paribas:
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 74 countries, with more than 192,000 employees, including more than 146,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
The management of BNP Paribas has committed to ensure compliance with AML, embargo & sanctions, and KYC rules across the entire Group. In this context, Group Compliance has installed a permanent, robust US-based sanctions compliance control team in New York: Group Financial Security US (“GFS-US”). The objectives of this unit include:
- Responsibility for the BNP Paribas Group framework in relation to compliance with US sanctions
- Acting as the ultimate level of management of US sanctions related alerts
- Ensuring the effectiveness of a complete legal and regulatory watch function in relation to US sanctions through liaison with Legal Affairs
- Issuing norms, policies and procedures, and training in relation to sanctions issues applicable across the BNP Paribas Group (focus of the GFS-US Norms and Procedures team)
- Performing a Group-wide advisory function and supplying advice to business and compliance units for situations related to US sanctions (focus of the GFS-US OFAC / Sanctions Advisory team)
- Acting as the sponsor of tools used to filter flows against embargo / sanctions lists and a the final level of escalation and review of possible OFAC violations (focus of the GFS-US OFAC / Sanctions Alerts team)
- Performing an on-site control function to verify that BNP Paribas entities comply with norms issued by GFS-US (focus of the GFS-US On-Site Controls team)
- Performing sanctions-based risk assessments for the Group’s branches & affiliates regarding and facilitating permanent risk oversight (focus of the GFS-US Risk Oversight team)
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) team has responsibility for all GFS functions including the general administrative management, budget, project management, human resources, IT requirements, communications, reporting and operational permanent control.
The COO Data Scientist operates within the COO Business Management function, reporting to the Business Manager. The individual in this role should have a high degree of development and programming acumen, an understanding of Risk and Scoring statistical models, and business analysis skills. In order to be successful in this role, the individual will need to demonstrate aptitudes in interactions with senior and junior stakeholders, particularly in the Risk Oversight team, who are the primary stakeholders for this role.
The main tasks assigned to the role will be to develop and maintain the scoring and validation model for sanctions analysis, analyse the data and develop methodologies/models to interpret the data. Additional tasks may include reporting, requirements analysis and solution design. Responsibilities include:
- Developing risk scoring models built in R and proprietary tools to synthesize the resulting information from the risk assessment survey, with an end goal of producing presentations and reports for communication and dissemination to stakeholders, senior management, and regulators
- Collaborating with BNPP counterparts to design and build technology solutions that will streamline the collection, analysis, and delivery of quantitative OFAC sanctions risk data
- Contributing to the implementation of the overall OFAC / sanctions risk oversight methodology for the bank to ensure correct and efficient risk identification
- Assisting in the production of an end product of translatable OFAC sanctions risk data that can be integrated with the Annual Global Bank Risk Assessment and ongoing risk monitoring
- Ongoing support and maintenance of all models and technical developments
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, IT, MIS, or business related major
- 3+ years advanced level of R programming skills required.
- Strong analytical, statistical, data modeling, and investigative skills
- 3 - 5 years of experience in a Risk / IT environment
- 3+ years advanced Tableau. MUST have experience using advance functions (creating complex dashboards etc)
- SQL and VBA skills a plus
- XML, Java, SAS a plus
- 3+ years advanced SharePoint.
- Advanced/Graduate degree preferred
- Technical certifications a plus
- Working knowledge of global banking products & services a plus
- Knowledge of BNP Paribas Group activities and organization a plus
- Experience with case management and survey systems a plus
- Experience with or understanding of AI, Machine Assisted Learning and Robotic Process Automation a plus
FINRA Registrations Required:
- Not Applicable
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.