Senior Oracle Performance Engineer
Senior Oracle Performance Engineer
IHS Markit recently embarked on their most significant technology project ever. A project that will result in the migration of 700 plus applications from on-premises infrastructure and legacy software versions to the very latest software on public cloud hosted solutions including AWS and VMWare Cloud on AWS. Such a revolutionary change is causing regressions in application performance. Your role is to collaborate with the application development teams to diagnose and address those performance regressions.
Data Services are a team of highly motivated database and data protection specialists. You will have the opportunity to dip into and learn from over 200 years of collective IT experience, including performance specialists, engineers and infrastructure-as-code developers. The team have adopted Agile principles in recent years and are rapidly increasing their use of DevOps practices such as Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, open sourcing, Minimum Viable Products, developing and supporting our own code. The team use Scrum or Kanban frameworks to structure and manage its work.
In the execution of this role you will gain:
- Sharpened application and infrastructure tuning skills in a role dedicated to performance
- A key role in enabling a multibillion-dollar project
- The satisfaction of making applications faster, more efficient and more scalable
- Experience of numerous industries including Finance, Transportation, Natural Resources and Agriculture
- Exposure to Agile principles, DevOps practices and modern work management methodologies including Scrum and Kanban
- Exposure to the latest technologies including Oracle 19c, RedHat Enterprise Linux 8, Actifio, AWS and VMWare Cloud on AWS
To be successful in this role you will bring:
- The knowledge and skills to make application code run faster or process more
- The soft skills to translate 'Database is slow' statements to well defined problem descriptions that can be diagnosed
- A logical approach to performance problem diagnosis that delivers results every time
- An understanding of infrastructure resources and how their consumption can impact on application performance
- A scientific approach to performance testing - hypothesis, methods and materials, results and conclusions
- The ability to find or develop tools that simplify and speed up the identification and resolution of performance problems
Foremost we are looking for approach and soft skills, but in achieving past success we expect you will have experience of one or more of the following:
- Data Architecture - Ensuring that the logical and physical design of the application and database constructs are appropriate to the desired outcomes. For example, by implementing appropriate indexing, object partitioning and table constraints.
- SQL tuning - Experience of using observability tools to describe existing performance and evaluate performance improvement opportunities. You are comfortable refactoring SQL and procedural SQL to achieve business results in an efficient manner. You will prefer permanent scalable solutions to quick fixes but are prepared to address pain points immediately where necessary.
- Cost-based Optimizer - You will know how to get the best from the RDBMS's cost-based optimizer. You will have demonstrable experience applying that knowledge, across different versions, to ensure that the optimizer gets the best chance to derive optimal execution plans for SQL that is thrown at it by the application.
- Performance measurement tools - You will be comfortable with a wide variety of built-in and third-party tools, with the knowledge and experience necessary to focus on the metrics and indicators that matter, without getting lost in the forest of detail such tooling provides.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.