Wintermute is a leading high-frequency market maker in crypto. This is an exciting finance role covering all aspects of finance, from strategic planning, to trading operations, to accounting and mid office.
Wintermute is a leading market maker of digital assets globally. While being less than 50 people and just 3 years old, we manage hundreds of millions in assets and trade more than $1B+/day across 30 different platforms. Culturally, we combine 1) the best-in-class trading and technology professionalism coming from 70+ years of combined team’s expertise in traditional HFT companies like Optiver and 2) technology startup culture, as we are moving very fast and empowering people to act like owners.
Wintermute provides liquidity algorithmically across most vested exchanges in crypto, across CeFi and DeFi, on-screen and OTC, and we support exchanges and highest-profile blockchain projects. At Wintermute, we believe in decentralization of finance and we believe that trading companies of the future are technology companies, not financial services providers.
Wintermute is a proprietary trading business. We are Series B highly profitable startup backed by Lightspeed Venture Partners, Blockchain.com Ventures and other top tier investors.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for an Finance Operations professional who has expertise of traditional financial markets and is also curious about blockchain, crypto and algorithmic trading. At Wintermute, you will be responsible for your own expertise area right from the start. You will have the opportunity to develop your own value-add improvements, processes and tools, while also getting advice and guidance from very experienced multi-disciplinary team. You will work directly with the Management Team on projects that matter. You will act like an owner and your incentives (incl. equity) will be completely aligned with those of the company. It is up to you to make an impact!
What will you work on
As we a a hyper-growth startup in one of the most dynamic industries, we are constantly changing and do the roles of everyone in the company. Your role will be very varied and will include some of the core ownership areas, as well as various projects based on both your talents/preferences and business needs of the company. There is a lot of room to shape the expand this role. Some representative responsibilities and projects are set below:
A selection of responsibilities or projects
- Work with Management Team on financial planning, forecasting and potential corporate structuring topics
- Create best-in-class process for trade reconciliations (to accomodate hundreds of thousands of trades a day!)
- Generate and execute ideas relating to middle office processes creation or improvement - find new ways to automate and/or outsource work currently done by algorithmic traders
- Find ways to optimize external loan processes, interest payments and reporting
- Overview and provide guidance to the accounting team in the creation of monthly Management Reports and Annual Reports, as well as find 101 ways to improve accounting processes, e.g., automation of reporting, proper categorization of expenses
- Support external audit, expected in mid 2021
- Look for ways to optimize taxation across subsidiaries in multople jurisdictions, which may include own research, selection of best advisors and coming up with efficient and compliant corporate structuring ideas
- Find ways to improve efficiency of company operations, both high level and detailed level (saving unnecessary expenses across various operational areas)
Hard Skills Requirements
- BSc in Business/Finance, significant quantitative educational or experience background is preferred
- Top tier MBA is preferred (or other proven ability to see the bigger picture, understand new functional areas quickly, having a cross-functional mindset)
- Financial background: experience in accounting/audit firms, internal financial control functions, investment banking, corporate finance, mid-office background
- Experience in HFT/market making trading environment or other high transaction volume business would be a significant advantage
- Strong quantitative and reasoning skills - we will test
- Experience building things is preferred - this could be professional, academic or personal, but we need to see some ownership and value-creation beyond execution or functional responsibility
- Deep trading knowledge isn’t required but willingness and curiosity to understand the basics of algorithmic, high-frequency, quantitative, market making trading fast is crucial
- Strong interest and curiosity in blockchain, crypto and DeFi
- Have an owner mentality - you focus on ultimate result (short and long-term P&L for the company), focus on strategically growing the business for the future vs “cashing-in” fast
- Love problem solving, and love seeing your products work;
- Do whatever it takes (including a lot of hands on work) to do what’s needed to grow the business
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus work 9-to-5 “work to pay bills”; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team environment working from our London office (as much as Covid limitation allow)
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
- A unique opportunity to join one of the highest growth startups in crypto
- Great company culture: informal, non-hierarchical, ambitious, highly professional yet startupy, collaborative, entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with sci-fi touch
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: a significant part of your compensation includes equity package and performance-based bonuses; your contribution may directly impact the upside, which is unlimited
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and the space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or is looking to maximize short-term fixed salary
- Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute and in this role in particular.
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions!
- If you don't have an obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant (but note, we do require some finance background/expertise)
- Do your homework on what hft/market making/algo trading is. (Hint: we are not in the business of position taking, directional betting, stock/token picking, technical analysis, "AI" (as in buzz-word) and we are not a research business for the sake of research)
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!
- Unfortunately, we are limited in the number of visa sponsorships but we can make it work for the best candidate!