Principal Research Analyst
IHS Markit Upstream Insight Worldwide Plays & Basins Service Your Role:
- Undertake extensive research on the upstream oil and gas industry, with a global perspective but focusing on the EMEA Region. Research will be undertaken starting from a geological basin perspective, incorporating perspectives on upstream exploration and exploitation activity, but with the potential to expand into consideration of broader energy related commercialization opportunities.
- Research will be conducted primarily using IHS Markit upstream databases, research and products. The role requires the individual to extract large volumes of data and examine datasets for trends in the global / regional upstream business and energy sector in general.
- Liaise with other team members in collecting and reviewing the research information.
- The objective of the research effort will be the generation of Worldwide Plays & Basins Team Client deliverables - Basin Reports, Strategic Reports, Trends Reports and Client Presentations. The individual will play an important role as part of a Team in helping drive these deliverables through to completion and a successful conclusion in terms of publication / presentation, whether internal or external to IHS Markit.
- Participate in workflow improvement process, including automation initiatives.
- Address client inquiries related to Plays & Basins Service Research / Products.
- Participate in client-facing research presentations and customer service events.
- A Bachelor's degree in Geoscience or Petroleum Engineering or a related subject is essential.
- Industry/work experience in petroleum geoscience/engineering; preferably more than 5 years, and ideally some time spent working for an upstream operating company.
- Experience with data analytical software such as Excel, Access, Power BI, etc.and also GIS tools such as ESRI ArcMap.
- Good technical knowledge on the upstream oil and gas industry, relating to global exploration and production activity and trends, ideally with some specific exposure to the EMEA Region. Some knowledge of midstream, downstream and other energy sectors would be helpful.
- An enquiring mind as regards the upstream and energy sector in general, with an ability both to identify key questions that are pertinent / currently critical to the sector's continuing development, and to come up with ideas on how these questions may be answered.
- Excellent IT and data analysis skils, including an advanced skillset in the use of Excel.
- Prior knowledge of / use of IHS Markit Upstream products such as EDIN or Vantage a plus.
- Some knowledge of methods of economic analysis relating to petroleum discoveries and projects would be advantageous, as would an understanding of different petroleum fiscal regimes.
- Strong analytical and quality control skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work on deadlines.
- Good communication skills with fluent spoken and written English and Chinese. Other languages may be helpful.
- Team player who is able to demonstrate a high level of initiative, willingness to learn and manage challenges.
- APAC hours but would need to work with global teams, especially EMEA region. There will be evening or night calls/meetings.
- We are happy to consider requests to work flexibly. For most roles, flexible hours and/or an element of working from home are usually possible. Please talk to us at interview about the type of flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.