Senior Underwriter, Casualty
Act as the technical expert for the function and or region. Responsible for working within authority limits on assignments reflecting the expert degree of technical complexity and coordination under broad management direction. Key responsibilities will involve underwriting business in line with the business plan; assisting the planning and forecasting process; monitoring aggregate exposure within agreed limits; monitoring premium income to ensure it remains within agreed limits; maintaining awareness of all claims advised; supporting and providing input on settlement of claims advised; building and maintaining relationships with brokers and clients; supporting the design and structure of risks; identifying and driving new product development opportunities. DISCOVER your opportunity
What will your essential responsibilities include?
- Underwrite, manage and service a renewal book and produce new business in accordance with business unit goals. Develop and manage underwriting strategies for both renewals and targets within your portfolio of accounts, including knowledge of the current penetration by product, cross marketing penetration and specific plans to increase company share.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the analysis and evaluation of risk.
- Negotiate with producers within the limits of delegated authority and in accordance with established underwriting standards to achieve profit objectives.
- Build and enhance relationships with brokers and clients and identify and establish new distribution relationships.
- Maintain expertise with the products, services, priorities and target markets to more effectively enable clients to uncover hidden risks.
- Promote the company's expertise by participating in industry conferences and events while regularly conducting and taking leadership roles in client and broker meetings to educate on risk.
- Support the business planning and forecasting process; monitor financial exposure within outlined limits; monitor premium income to ensure it remains within set limits.
- Maintain awareness of all claims advised while supporting and providing input on settlement of claims.
- Identify and drive new product development opportunities. Effectively cross-market with other Brooklyn and AXA XL lines; meet with brokers and insureds as required. Cultivate key broker relationships in the region to maintain a steady stream of business within our underwriting appetite.
You will report to the Head of Casualty, Australia. SHARE your talent SHARE your talent
We're looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
FIND your future
- Bachelor's degree preferred with equivalent experience, policy development and broker management.
- Possess a high and extensive level of technical knowledge and skills including product & industry.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to respond to a changing environment with flexibility and innovation.
- Marketing - Effectively plan for sales and business development. Integrating the use of various techniques, tools, and information to support profitable business growth over a defined period.
- Negotiation/Sales - Plan, structure and conduct negotiations with brokers and/or clients to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Build excellent interpersonal relationships with brokers, clients & colleagues with the intention of im-proving personal profile and reputation within Brooklyn Underwriting and AXA XL and the broader market.
- Industry Knowledge - Understanding of the insurance industry and specific product portfolios to positively impact the underwriting business.
- Strategy/Planning - Make underwriting decisions to fulfill the business strategic plan and deliver results. Has knowledge of the financial targets and levers in order to deliver on departmental business plan.
- Analytical Skills - Visualize, gather information, articulate, analyze and solve complex problems in order to make key business decisions.
AXA XL, the P&C and specialty risk division of AXA, is known for solving complex risks. For mid-sized companies, multinationals and even some inspirational individuals we don't just provide re/insurance, we reinvent it.
How? By combining a comprehensive and efficient capital platform, data-driven insights, leading technology, and the best talent in an agile and inclusive workspace, empowered to deliver top client service across all our lines of business - property, casualty, professional, financial lines and specialty.
With an innovative and flexible approach to risk solutions, we partner with those who move the world forward.
Learn more at axaxl.com Inclusion & Diversity
AXA XL is committed to equal employment opportunity and will consider applicants regardless of gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity and origins, marital status, religion, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At AXA XL, we know that an inclusive culture and a diverse workforce enable business growth and are critical to our success. That's why we have made a strategic commitment to attract, develop, advance and retain the most diverse workforce possible, and create an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full selves to work and can reach their highest potential. It's about helping one another - and our business - to move forward and succeed.
- Five Business Resource Groups focused on gender, LGBTQ+, ethnicity and origins, disability and inclusion with 20 Chapters around the globe
- Robust support for Flexible Working Arrangements
- Enhanced family friendly leave benefits
- Named to the Diversity Best Practices Index
- Signatory to the UK Women in Finance Charter
Learn more at axaxl.com/about-us/inclusion-and-diversity . AXA XL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sustainability
At AXA XL, Sustainability is integral to our business strategy. In an ever-changing world, AXA XL protects what matters most for our clients and communities. We know that sustainability is at the root of a more resilient future. Our 2023-26 Sustainability strategy, called "Roots of resilience", focuses on protecting natural ecosystems, addressing climate change, and embedding sustainable practices across our operations.
- Valuing nature: How we impact nature affects how nature impacts us. Resilient ecosystems - the foundation of a sustainable planet and society - are essential to our future. We're committed to protecting and restoring nature - from mangrove forests to the bees in our backyard - by increasing biodiversity awareness and inspiring clients and colleagues to put nature at the heart of their plans.
- Addressing climate change: The effects of a changing climate are far reaching and significant. Unpredictable weather, increasing temperatures, and rising sea levels cause both social inequalities and environmental disruption. We're building a net zero strategy, developing insurance products and services, and mobilizing to advance thought leadership and investment in societal-led solutions.
- Integrating ESG: All companies have a role to play in building a more resilient future. Incorporating ESG considerations into our internal processes and practices builds resilience from the roots of our business. We're training our colleagues, engaging our external partners, and evolving our sustainability governance and reporting.
- AXA Hearts in Action: We have established volunteering and charitable giving programs to help colleagues support causes that matter most to them, known as AXA XL's "Hearts in Action" programs. These include our Matching Gifts program, Volunteering Leave, and our annual volunteering day - the Global Day of Giving.
For more information, please see axaxl.com/sustainability