Network Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION Amazon is looking for experienced Network Development Engineers to drive the operations of one of the world's largest and complex networks. We are expanding at a tremendous rate; it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to the operation of our network.
The AWS Direct Connect team delivers solutions that make it easy for customers to establish a dedicated network connection from their premises to the AWS cloud. These connections help to reduce network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections. AWS Direct Connect is currently available in more than 100 locations, which span nearly 70 cities in 30 different countries.
- The ideal candidate will have;
• A proven track record of technical leadership and success in driving complex issues to resolution and will demonstrate an in-depth knowledge Network Fundamentals concepts and theory.
• Experience managing proactive engineering, network optimization and operational network support for a large-scale service provider or enterprise environment.
As a Network Development Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will;
• Provide critical on-shift network operations support to Amazon.com customers to diagnose and respond to large-scale events.
• Support and maintain our next generation - networks.
• Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
• Partner with our broader Technical Operations organization to reduce operational burden.
• Work closely with our broader Network Engineering & Deployment teams to ensure operational readiness for new deployments.
• Drive standards across the network and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
• Participate and drive impact mitigation during large-scale events utilizing an established Event Management process.
• Drive event deep dives for large-scale events, deliver high-quality documentation for the events and drive corrective actions to completion.
• Improve our detection mechanisms by designing and implementing new alerts.
• Identify and troubleshoot recurring platform issues for full resolution.
• Create and review documentation and process regarding recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
• Troubleshoot interconnectivity issues, including troubleshooting of network device configuration and low level application interaction.
• Identify and drive opportunities to repeatable tasks through creation and maintenance of scripts and tools.
• Effectively contribute towards hiring and developing others in the team.
• 5+ years of experience in a large-scale network operations environment.
• Excellent IP fundamentals and extensive experience in the application and troubleshooting of IP .
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major platforms; specifically Cisco: ASR, NCS, Nexus and Juniper: MX/EX platforms including all compatible supervisory and line cards for these platforms.
• Experience with one or more of the following and concepts: , Flow control, UDP, HSRP/VRRP/GLBP, DNS, ARP, HTTP, SSL, STP, Trunking, & Port Channeling, IPsec and TLS.
• Flexibility to support follow-the-sun shifts and on-calls (including weekends/Public holidays).
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience in large scale datacenter network implementations and support.
• Experience in working on a Linux/Unix environment
• Scripting in Python or Shell
• Experience in dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
• Experience in mentoring and coaching junior engineers.
• Define and influence strategy within and outside the team.
• Experience with IT best practice frameworks (ITIL, COBIT) and Operational Excellence concepts or methodologies is a plus.
• Effective in prioritization and time management.
• Excellent analytical skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.