Mechanical Design Engineer - CFD
DESCRIPTION Do you dream of working in a role where your talent with mechanical HVAC system design and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can be merged? Do you want to expand your current knowledge of building systems while providing input from your previous experience? Have you ever wondered what it is like to own the whole document control process for a fast paced mechanical design team? YES! Then keep reading...
In this role you will perform project related work such as building load and water use calculations, equipment selection, concept sketches, and CFD modeling. You will answer construction Requests for Information (RFI), develop mechanical Scopes of Work (SOW), produce construction documents for bidding, and assist senior engineers with detailed project work. As the subject matter expert, you will provide detailed construction documents and specifications as a part of a team which operates within 16 geographic regions, and be an integral part of our work to change the world through technology.
About the team
The Data Center Design Engineering team at Amazon Web Services consists of Architects, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Controls Engineers working to design the next generation of data centers. The team is committed to achieving a world-class uptime for our customers and strives to develop a fleet of buildings emphasizing security, safety, and efficiency, while finding new ways to meet our growing demand. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make directly to AWS leadership and work hard to drive continuous advancements in our designs. As an integral member of the team, you will have the opportunity to directly impact our business and create positive change.
• Developing mechanical documentation including but not limited to narratives, drawings, specifications, etc.
• Driving process improvements across the organization.
• Performing building energy use calculations for determining capacity and type of cooling system required
• Performing CFD models on innovative and cutting edge designs
• Providing reports to senior leadership on the results of those models
• Performing water efficiency use calculations to determine quantity of water needed on site
• Coordinating with construction and commissioning teams to answer requests for information
• Working with global ME teams to achieve alignment of design and CFD modeling standards
• Developing special projects and assist senior engineers with detailed calculations for special projects
• This position will involve routine travel, every other month within APAC region, plus an annual trip to either the EMEA or AMER regions.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Cumulative 3-6 years of experience in design engineering or construction
• Experience with building load calculation software
• Experience with Sigma Six CFD modeling software
• Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Engineer in training or Chartered Engineer
• Understanding of building plans, project specifications, and building controls documentation
• Intermediate experience with MS Excel and MS Word
• Prior project management experience would be beneficial but is not required
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.