We are looking to hire a Director to join our growing Special Situations & Investments (SSI) team in Sydney.
Gordon Brothers is a global, independent, asset advisory and investment firm providing restructuring, asset remarketing, advisory, and capital solutions. We have offices in Australia in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, and anticipate opening further offices in Australia and SE Asia in 2020.
We are looking to hire a Director to join our growing Special Situations & Investments (SSI) team in Sydney. Our SSI business provides asset backed, structured capital, whether it be debt or other forms, to Australian corporate borrowers primarily seeking transitional or transformational capital to fund and support turnaround, restructure or growth. As a result of the growth in the business and prospect pipeline, we are looking to hire a senior individual to join the team and subsequently an analyst role to support them.
The role is multi-faceted and varied but will see you responsible for all aspects of the origination, investment, execution and portfolio management process, including:
- Origination and execution of investment transactions (lending / disposition/ asset recovery/ asset and company purchase opportunities) in the Retail and Commercial & Industrial sectors. The candidate will require a good understanding of loan and investment facility documentation, Australian legal and security issues, execution process and subsequent portfolio management processes.
- As part of the deal team, the candidate will be responsible for the initial screening of opportunities, financial and commercial due diligence / audit of client’s financials, systems and processes to interrogate and verify data upon which Gordon Brothers transactions are based on. Outputs including fully integrated financial models with scenario optionality, valuation models and exit planning models, which form the basis of Gordon Brothers bids for new business.
- Report and Investment Committee paper write-up, providing background details to the due diligence process and building a case for Gordon Brothers transactions, for submission to Investment Committee
Business Development, Marketing & PR
- Jointly with the Deals & Business Development Team, contributing to the development and implementation of the marketing plan for the business in the Australian market.
- Leading corporate presentations supported by appropriate marketing material and brochures.
- Develop relations with business partners, banks, advisors, legal firms, and others to increase market penetration
Strategy & Planning
- Identifying strategic targets and opportunities through analysis of publicly available and proprietary information. Access key research and market data for corporate opportunities. Undertaking research on prospective clients to enable an approach to new clients with an informed view of their business.
- Supporting the development of new financing products for retail and commercial lending including legal structure review and business plan.
- Developing relations with business partners and subcontractors to increase market penetration in particular with Financial Sponsors, Banks and other financial service providers such as Restructuring Advisors, Lawyers, Debt or M&A Advisors with an Australian focus.
- Contributing to the budgeting process.
- Portfolio managing the lending and investment deals. Responsibilities to include financial performance and covenant monitoring, budget analysis, macro-economic monitoring and presentation to Gordon Brothers Investment Committee on a periodic basis.
- Overseeing any restructuring and recovery processes.
- Working as an integral team player within the business and effectively contributing to the development of all strands of the business.
- Acting externally as an ambassador for Gordon Brothers in Australia and internally as a key point of contact for our international offices.
- Managing a junior resource (to be recruited post fulfillment of this role).
- The ideal candidate for the role will be a finance professional with over 8 years relevant lending and investment transaction experience gained across asset-based lending (ABL), distressed lending, debt restructuring, corporate insolvency, or a mix of the above. They will be supported by a strong team of deal originators, asset (i.e. PP&E or Retail Inventory) valuers and analysts.
- Proven origination and business development skills.
- Team leadership ability.
- Good network at a senior level across the banking sector, distressed financial sponsor community and major accountancy/consulting firms.
- Understanding of key risk issues, across credit, recovery, legal, compliance (including KYC and AML) and financial/tax.
- You will ideally hold an accountancy qualification, MBA or CFA (or equivalent) and be looking for a move into a role in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial business that takes principal risk.
- The candidate should have a strong analysis and problem-solving skills, financial modelling capability, a strong work ethic and integrity, be a team player and proactive and self-motivated.
- A good communicator, strong written and oral presentation skills, persuasive and credible.
- This role is located in our Sydney CBD office but will require domestic and international travel from time to time, therefore a flexible working attitude will be looked on favourably.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please include a covering letter to accompany your CV detailing why you are a suitable candidate for the role.