Data Center Regional Mechanical Engineer (Field Engineering), Field Engineering
As an Amazon Field Engineer, you will provide full life-cycle support to AWS Data Centers from design inception through site improvement and maintenance. You will be the 'go to' engineering resource for your region when technical advice is needed, and will use your subject matter expertise and engage with diverse teams to:
• Perform design and equipment submittal review for new Data Centers in your region.
• Troubleshoot, conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and create Corrective Action (CA) documentation for site/equipment failures.
• Directly support operational issues with ad-hoc training, complex operating procedure reviews, including critical equipment, and event support.
• Own the design for existing data center upgrades and design-solutions, which add capacity, improve availability, and increase efficiency.
• Lead, Review, and approve designs for existing co-location (colo) data center upgrades which improve availability/efficiency.
• Interface with internal data center design engineering team, server hardware team, environmental health and safety team to promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered.
• Work on concurrent projects, sometimes in multiple geographical regions.
• Initiate and lead engineering site audits within Amazon's owned or colo data centers. Produce reports outlining risks with recommended mitigations and remediation.
• Act as resident engineer during new construction projects. Support construction, commissioning, and turnover.
Amazon's vision is to be the world's most customer-centric company, and this role is key to that vision. As a Field Engineer, you will be leading projects to fit out our data centers to meet ever-evolving customer needs as we continue expanding our fleet to hyper-scale. As an ideal candidate you:
• Possess Strong engineering judgement and are able to provide recommendations despite uncertainty
• Are detail and data oriented
• Have experience managing engineering projects and consultants.
• Build trust and relationships with different stakeholders (e.g., Operations, Commissioning, Construction and Design)
• Be inclined to get into the field to see things up close.
Each day you will interact with different teams responsible for all aspects of the data centers. You will prioritise your activities to support data center capacity availability and safety focusing on the actions that are most impactful. You will have the opportunity to work on projects locally and globally.
If you meet these qualifications, exude passion, and enjoy the challenge of innovative projects at hyper-scale, this job is for you!
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
• 6+ cumulative years of experience with industrial or commercial engineering in Mission Critical facilities including but not limited to: data centers, power generation, oil / gas facilities. (Experienced Engineer) PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Organised and have the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines and budget.
• Possess leadership and problem-solving skills.
• Experience using a variety of web based and other software tools for calculation and data processing.
• Direct experience with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of mission critical facilities, especially data centers.
• Experience as resident engineer or hands-on (in the field) design consultant.
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations for your region.
• Experience reading, interpreting, and creating construction drawings, specifications, and submittal documents.
• Ability to carry design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/mass production.
• Possess excellent communication and writing skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
• Basic understanding of both mechanical and electrical equipment/design related to data centers (Including but not limited to: uninterruptable power sources, diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives, automatic/static transfer switches, chillers [air-cooled and water-cooled], pumps, cooling towers, heat exchangers, CRAHs, air economizers, etc.).
• EPMS/SCADA/BMS Controls system experience (software and/or hardware)
• Registered Professional Engineer.
• Advanced degree in engineering, business, or related field.