Software Development Engineer
There's never been a more exciting time to join Amazon!
Amazon Australia is growing at an exceptional rate as we work to create an awesome shopping experience for Australians. New team members are joining us every day in our mission to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To reach our aspiration, we need talented, bright, and driven people just like you!
Amazon is seeking to add a software engineer position to our already awesome team to help start a Greenfield initiative with strategic significance and high exposure. In this initiative we will tackle some of the most intriguing problems in software architecture while designing and building highly scalable services, and solutions from the ground up. You will join a high performing, learning-oriented, analytical team, motivated to over-achieve, have fun, and make history. You'll help foster our culture of technical excellence, and entrepreneurial customer obsession.
Who are we looking for?
We are a diverse workforce - our people bring many different experiences to our mission and many different types of leaders succeed here, but have a few things in common:
• High level of motivation with a drive to deliver results
• Analytical acumen and a passion for solving problems (many of which are complex)
• Ability to make decisions in the face of ambiguity
• A desire to experiment, innovate and learn from both successes and failures
• Excellent communication skills: ability to work independently across all levels of the organization, both locally and globally
• Enjoyment for working as a team with a strong sense of ownership and personal achievement
What will you do? You will be responsible for solving complex problems, work on front and backend services that can scale to millions of requests, build products that will reach millions of customers and deploy them globally delivering an exceptional customer experience. Our project spans across Amazon Consumer and AWS business lines as we work to build high request volume customer facing services. You will work closely with and learn from a large Principal Engineering community with direct interaction with project leadership up to the S-Team level. As innovators who embrace new technology, you will be empowered to choose the right highly scalable and available technology to solve complex problems and will directly influence product design.
About the team
Our tech team is distributed across Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne and in Brisbane operates out of our fabulous Brisbane office (conveniently located near many transportation options), and from home (during COVID-19)
We support flexible working options blending both at home and in office.
If our business, culture, and love for technology sound like they might be a fit, we'd love to hear from you.
For up to date news covering diversity and inclusion, sustainability and community engagement, please visit: https://www.aboutamazon.com.au/ BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 5+ years of professional software development experience
• 5+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 5+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science (or related field) or equivalent industry experience
• Strong fundamentals in core Computer Science areas like Object Oriented Design, Data Structures and Algorithms
• Experience with Amazon Builder Tools PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to rapidly prototype and adjust in response to customer feedback
• Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
• Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, and a preference for agile development
• Experience building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems for commercial online services
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
• Ability to articulate the benefits and challenges of depending on libraries, frameworks, and tool-sets