This is an exciting time to join a business that makes a real difference to society as it embarks on the next stage of its growth and evolution.
John Laing Group (JL) is a leading international investor across a range of infrastructure sectors. They are a responsible investor, committed to delivering critical and enduring infrastructure which responds to public needs and improves the lives of the communities John Laing serve. The Group’s history has been one of constant evolution and growth, and this remains the case today. The fundamental drivers of infrastructure investment are stronger than ever – population growth, climate change, energy transition, urbanisation and the ever-increasing need for digital connectivity.
The recent acquisition by KKR’s Diversified Core Infrastructure Fund sets the broader infrastructure investment platform with complementary investment businesses; a strong Greenfield PPP & Projects business; and a second engine for growth in mid-market Core- plus infrastructure supported by having access to flexible capital.
As part of the PPP & Projects business division this role comprises of two key parts: (1) contributing to the origination of new investments and (2) responsibility for ongoing valuation of portfolio investments.
• Contribute to the investment in infrastructure and supporting senior members in the origination and management of infrastructure projects
• Take a hands-on role in John Laing’s involvement during the bidding and financial close process, including taking the lead and responsibility for creating or reviewing the financial model
• Financial analysis relating to new and existing infrastructure investment opportunities
• Assist with deal structuring, financing and documentation
• Lead the execution of financing processes to support acquisitions and where required
• Writing and contributing to investment analysis
• Contribute to quarterly valuations, update of financial models for projects and presentation of results to Portfolio Review and Valuations committee
Associate Director: M&A Financing
You will contribute to the origination of, and investment in, infrastructure and energy assets across Australia and New Zealand, working closely with Directors and Managing Directors to successfully structure and invest into infrastructure projects. Responsibilities include:
• Support in the identification of acquisition opportunities, undertake market research and recommend targets
• Taking the lead and responsibility for key due diligence workstreams including legal, tax and any debt structuring
• Lead the execution of financing processes to support acquisitions
• Presentation of investment opportunities to the Investment Committee
• Act as representative and represent John Laing’s interest at meetings and negotiations.
• Provide leadership and mentoring of junior members
Associate Director: PPP
You will have a particular focus on the development of Greenfield infrastructure projects, platforms and portfolios and contribute to the origination of, and investment in the greenfield and brownfield opportunities. Responsibilities include:
• Provide support in identifying development opportunities, research and recommendations.
• Take an active role in John Laing’s involvement in the bidding and financial close, undertaking bid sponsors responsibility for key workstreams including legal, tax, debt and due diligence.
• Present investment opportunities to the Investment Committee
• Manage the scoping, appointment, and management of work with external consultants/advisers
• Involved in all aspects of the bidding process including project management, negotiation and execution of deals
• Provide leadership and mentoring of junior members.
Ideally candidates have experience within the infrastructure, energy or aligned sectors and will be highly numerate with strong financial analysis and financial modelling ability, highly motivated with superior verbal and written communication skills. The Associate Director will require a proven track record in financing and structuring transactions, as well as leading and executing deals.
Your experience may have been gained within an investment banking, corporate finance advisory, project finance, funds management or principal investment firms. Total years of experience is likely to be circa 3-6 years for an Associate and 7-10+ years Associate Director level roles.
All applicants must have full working rights for Australia to be considered for these roles.
Enquiries in strict confidence to:
Melbourne: Michael Lee via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sydney: Rory Callow via email email@example.com
JON MICHEL EXECUTIVE SEARCH
Jon Michel Executive Search was established in 1997 to provide search and selection services to the financial, professional services and corporate sectors. The firm’s clients include commercial banks, investment banks, fund managers, insurance companies, private equity firms, stockbrokers, private equity backed companies & sophisticated investor groups, professional firms, as well as a select group of blue-chip corporates.
Areas of Specialisation
Corporate & Investment Banking | Advisory | Global Markets | Risk Management
Funds Management & Alternative Investments
Corporates & Government
Executive Management – C-Suite
Marketing & Communications