Internal Controls Specialist, Superannuation
Vanguard Australia has been helping investors achieve their long-term financial goals for over 20 years. With more than AUD $9 trillion in assets under management Vanguard is one of the world's largest global investment management companies. In Australia we partner with institutional clients, financial advisers and individual investors to offer low-cost investment solutions. Our comprehensive range of managed funds, exchange traded funds (ETFs) and tailored investment solutions are built to support long-term investment success for our clients.
At Vanguard Investments Australia (VIA) we have a focus on increasing our efforts to serve Australian investors directly. As part of that journey we are working on an expansion of our offering to include superannuation. Australia has one of the best retirement systems in the world and we want to help make it better for all Australians. With significant global and local expertise in the retirement space, coupled with our disciplined, low-cost approach to investing we are committed to helping more Australians reach their retirement goals. The opportunity
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Controls and joining a broader team of Finance and Internal Controls professionals, the Superannuation Controls Specialist will be responsible for the design, development and documentation of key controls across the Superannuation business. In addition to this, the role will work closely with business partners to ensure that key controls and associated reporting requirements have been designed and implemented effectively in line with regulatory and compliance obligations.
This is a key role within the team and will serve as a key contact to internal & external partners including Enterprise Risk Management, Internal Audit, Compliance and External Audit to ensure efforts are coordinated across the business. What you will do
What we are looking for
- Engage with Risk and Compliance partners and business partners to identify and understand business risks and regulatory and compliance obligations
- Provides guidance on control design adequacy to manage risk and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, documenting key controls and relevant reporting required for monitoring
- Develop operating effectiveness measures including review of key artefacts to support monitoring activities
- Identify opportunities to improve control environment, highlighting control gaps and inefficiencies, presenting recommendations to management team
- Provides consultation, facilitation, and analytical support to ensure internal controls are properly aligned and implemented
- Embeds Internal Controls best practice through Education and influences business partners on control design, implementation and effectiveness and recommend actions to increase effectiveness of those controls.
Specialisations that will make an impact
- Strong knowledge of operational aspects of the superannuation and financial services industry, regulations and outsourced service providers with particular regard to industry practice and requirements between trustee, fund and outsourced service providers
- Demonstrated Superannuation experience in a risk/assurance related role within a Financial Services organisation or professional services firm would be highly regarded
- Strong understanding of control methodology and frameworks
- Strong knowledge and experience in process analysis, evaluation of risks, control design and testing
- Demonstrated experience in managing matters of high complexity, sound problem solving, resolution and decision-making abilities
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating with internal and external stakeholders, within a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Ability to independently handle multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to ability to build and maintain productive relationships with internal stakeholders across the business (including senior management)
- Sound knowledge of regulatory requirements for Superannuation (e.g. SIS Act, Corporations Act, APRA Prudential standards)
- Ability to analyse trends, identify critical threats and opportunities, diagnose problems and issues and recommend appropriate actions
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or relevant experience in a similar role
- Experience with technology related controls would also be well regarded
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success. Where to from here?
If you would like to discuss further please contact Richard Maher from our Talent Acquisition team on Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org .