SBF Senior Credit Officer
- Knoxville, TN, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- BankUnited, N.A
- 17 Feb 17
Utilizes specialty knowledge of small business financing to ensure safety and soundness of the bank’s lending activities in the assigned lending unit(s).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties and special projects may be assigned.
- Exercises prudent credit judgment through individual lending authority assigned by the Bank-Wide Credit Risk Management Committee, as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Assists Business Development Officers in structuring financing transactions and approving credit within assigned lending unit(s).
- Helps to ensure safe and sound lending practices through ongoing monitoring of the SBF portfolio and observance of market trends that may impact credit quality. Works closely with senior managers of to identify and mitigate risks in the portfolio.
- Supervises and underwrites new money requests and manages the annual review and renewal process, in addition to tickler management.
- Supervises, mentors and trains underwriters and portfolio managers, as needed. Understands staff needs and keeps staff motivated and challenged to target low level turnover.
- Submits underwritten deals to Business Banking Credit Executive for approval when beyond their level of authority.
- Utilizes understanding of accounting ramifications of SBA Servicing actions, risk rating, accrual and TDR loan status changes to provide oversight to these related processes.
- Participates in deal discussion meetings and exercises individually assigned authorities in each setting.
- Evaluates and approves or declines policy exceptions and modifications to existing deals, within individual lease and loan authority.
- Maintains SBA & USDA Credit Policy and Procedures oversight responsibility, with recognition of BU Credit Policy and Procedural governance, where SBA Policy is silent to specific areas of guidance. Enhances soundness and training tools with the Policy, including establishing tolerances for risk layer and underwriting specific product or industry types.
- Assures proper use of standard BU and SBA templates as detailed in the respective Procedural manuals, and recommend efficiency modifications as identified.
- Participates in projects as assigned by the Bank’s Chief Credit Officer.
- Consults with primarily with Bridge Funding secondarily with Business Banking with respective areas of lending expertise. This primarily relates to Franchise Lending. Travels to support other lending units may be required.
- Closely manages the above functions, a majority of which are performed under the direct supervision of the SBF Director of Portfolio Management and the SBF Senior Credit Manager (both of which report to the SBF Senior Credit Officer). Assures work flow is appropriate, efficient, and manageable by each individual. This is to assure that the SBF Senior Credit Officer role is a comprehensive credit administration supervision position, not simply management of deal flow.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: 4 year college degree in business related field, or other acceptable alternative field required plus 10 years of experience in small business lending/financing, a minimum of 5 years recent SBA experience.